Please note, by accessing the Internet through the San Luis Obispo County Library wireless network, you agree to abide by the rules and guidelines set forth in the Internet use policy as well as the San Luis Obispo County Library Rules of Conduct.
- Arroyo Grande
- Los Osos
- Morro Bay
- San Luis Obispo
- San Miguel
- Santa Margarita
- Shell Beach
- 802.11 B/G/N compatible
This wireless network uses the most common standards, does not require special configuration and has been tested. Wireless technology, however, can vary among hardware and software. If you are having problems, please check your product documentation. Here are some general tips:
- Devices that use the 802.11a standard will not work with this wireless network.
- If you’re using a wireless card in a laptop or handheld, confirm that it’s inserted properly.
- If your laptop has built-in wireless with a separate power switch, confirm that it’s on.
- Confirm that your wireless network connection is enabled.
- If you are getting a “page cannot be displayed” message in your web browser, click “refresh” or try another website.
- Depending on your computer settings, you may be prompted to allow access to an unsecure wireless network. (see note below).
Security Precautions - Important!
Please be aware that the security of your computer and personal information cannot be guaranteed if you connect to this wireless network. In an effort to make access as available as possible, extra measures (such as WEP/WPA encryption) are not implemented. Although almost any wireless network communication is insecure, you can take steps to improve your own security by taking these steps:
- Use a firewall: A firewall can keep your computer protected from other computers.
- Conduct secure online transactions: When shopping or conducting other online transactions, make sure that each session is using SSL encryption, indicated by “https” in the address line (instead of “http”) and by the lock icon displayed in the lower right corner of the web browser window.
Please consider other ways to maximize security. An online search on “wireless security” will lead to many helpful websites.